It is 1000 degrees in New York right now -- welcome summer! And with this drastic heat comes a few problems for us naturally curly girls. D-R-Y-N-E-S-S!!!!!!! DRYNESS!!!!!!!!!!!! DRYNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
DRYNESS FROM THE HEAT..
DRYNESS FROM PRODUCTS..
DRYNESS FROM JUMPING IN AND OUT OF THE POOL..
So I've come up with a few tips to make it through the summer without frying your hair...
- If you are going to the pool try to deep condition the night before -- you are going to need that extra moisture!
- It is ok to use silicones before the pool -- silicones create a barrier making it hard for moisture to get into the hair shaft hence making it harder for the chlorine and chemicals to get into the hair shaft..
- SHAMPOO.. CLARIFY.. Co-washing is not going to be enough to get your scalp clean after the day at the pool or beach
- Co-wash as often as you have time - our scalp sweats! This heat jst requires more water, more moisture. It may be harder to retain the moisture since the sun is basically baking our hair
- If you can find a cute hat to fit over your curls -- WEAR IT! Again, This is about the sun baking our hair.. We wear sunblock and sunglasses but somehow forget the top of our heads. Alternatives include: scarves, bandanas, flowers
- PROTECTIVE STYLING - cute, stylish, & gets the hair off your neck!
- Use a lighter sealant - I love jamaican black castor oil and olive oil during the colder months but those oils are way too heavy for this weather.. Try almond oil, coconut oil, argan oil instead.
- The high bun is every curly girls friend --simple style any girl can do and it gets the hair off ya neck!
- Try to avoid Heat styling -- I mean who the hell are you kidding? Our hair is naturally curly and with all the sweat and water around what is the likelihood that is going to stay straight at all???? Jst avoid the stress and damage
- LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST -- CHILL! Enjoy the summer!